Sunday, February 21, 2010

I Never Cook on Friday Night. What Was I Thinking?

On the weekends Terry and I are usually trying to figure out where we want to eat. I don't typically cook those nights, but for some reason it was the natural thing for me to do last Friday. I am finding I actually look forward to the next planned recipe and have found a new love in preparing special meals for my family and others. While I am spending more money at the grocery store, we are not eating out nearly as often.

Friday night I prepared two recipes contributed by two special friends, Michelle T. and Carissa C. Both friends are busy working mothers and both recipes were again quick, simple and tasty. Those words seem to be the buzz words in my blogs. We ate Michelle's Chicken Parmesan and Carissa's Cheesy California Medley. The best way to get you family to eat veggies? Camouflage them with cheese.

Carissa and I both work at the church so I have the opportunity to see her almost every day. I have never met a person with such a plethora of interesting stories. I have known Carissa for close to 20 years and I do not believe I have heard the same story twice. She apparently lives a very full life. Her three children provide her with the fodder for many of her most hysterical stories. I know all three of her children and attest to the fact that even the most seemingly unbelievable stories are somehow true. Carissa needs to write a book. It would be a bestseller.

Michelle, on the other hand, is a friend I hardly ever see. However, no matter how much time goes by before I see her again, I am always totally comfortable with her. I can be myself and she loves me just the same. Like Jill, she is one I can always count on to serve in many of the Children's Ministries. Oh wait, she is going on a family vacation to the Grand Canyon the week of VBS and her children have grown up, so now she is going on the youth trip rather than Kidz Kamp. It looks like this year we will see each other even less, but I still consider her as one of my dearest friends.

Cheesy California Medley

1 bag California medley veggies 1 can cheddar cheese soup
1/2 stick butter 1 c crushed Toll House crackers

On medium heat, cook vegetables according to package. In small pan, melt butter. Heat soup, not to boiling. In 2 quart casserole dish mix vegetables and cheddar cheese soup. pour melted butter over crushed crackers. Sprinkle crackers on top of veggie/cheese. Place in oven for 350 for 15 minutes.

Chicken Parmesan

4 to 6 boneless chicken breasts 2 c Italian bread crumbs
1/2 c Parmesan cheese 1 stick margarine

Mix Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs in one bowl. In another bowl, melt the margarine. Next dip the chicken in the margarine and roll in the bread crumb mixture. Then place the chicken in a baking dish and pour the remaining margarine over the chicken. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes, uncovered.

2 comments:

  1. Wait...no Michelle at VBS?? And a recipe from Michelle or Lee?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right, no Michelle at VBS. It will not be the same. According to the cookbook the recipe is Michelle's.

    ReplyDelete