Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My First Crack at Guest Blogging


I would like to start off by thanking Phyliss and Terry for opening up their home to me. They’ve been a tremendous influence in my life since God brought me to Philly in 2001. I’m good friends with both of their chil’rens, Brittany (B-Dub), and Benjamin (Benji), so I’ve spent many moments over at their house.

Terry and Phyliss invited me over to eat some of Mike Henderson’s Red Beans & Rice, which I’ve heard is a legendary dish. Needless to say, I was not about to turn down a chance at trying some legendary food. I’ve put plenty of weird food in my mouth (drank a happy meal, raisin bagel w/ green bean baby food, etc.), so I figured that this would be no problem.

I showed up totally unprepared. I was unaware of anything related to the contents of Mr. Mike’s recipe, minus the main ingredients. Apparently, there is some heat to this meal. Fortunately, I scored some generic Tums—thanks P & T—and the feast was on! Two helpings later, the Tums were a blessing.

Tasty and delicious were two words I used to describe the meal. Mr. Mike would be proud. I even got to get a slice of that cheesecake deluxe Phyliss made. Yummmmm!!!!

And that’s all I have to say about that…


Mike's Red Beans and Rice

2 med. yellow onions, finely chopped 1/2 t oregano

1/2 c celery leaves, finely chopped 1 T salt

1/2 clove garlic, finely chopped 1 T sugar

1 t olive oil 1/2 c ketchup

1lbs smoked sausage 1 T Worcestershire

1 T chili powder 3 dashes or so Tabasco sauce

4 cans light red kidney beans

Saute onion, celery tops and garlic in olive oil. Cut sausage into 1/4 inch pieces and add to onion mixture. Add all the chili powder, oregano, salt, sugar and Tabasco (include a little red pepper or Cajun seasoning when your wife is out of the room). Stir in ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Wash and drain beans; add to the mix. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer all day. To thicken, if necessary, remove 1 cup of beans smash them and put back in pan. Serve over rice with Tabasco or favorite hot sauce. Feeds an army!

2 comments:

  1. Great job on your choice for a guest blogger....I mean who else has a better respect for food?!? !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phyl invited a guest blogger to eat with us - we know he can eat, but could he also write afterwords? Apparently so! Good to have Gus over.... Phyl makes red beans and rice on occasion, but she pretty much sticks to whatever you get when you open a box of Zatarain's and add to it. So for me, this recipe was different - not worse or better just different. It wasn't as spicy as I thought it would be and because I like spicy stuff, it probably wasn't quite spicy enough for my taste buds. Still, this version of RB&R had a good taste and I did two helpings. Terry's Yum Factor 3.9

    ReplyDelete