Thursday, February 18, 2010

Oh, There You Are

Tonight Terry and I had planned to go to our reading group. We are reading through John MacArthur's The Gospel According to Jesus with a group of friends. We gather weekly to discuss the book chapter by chapter. I got home from work late, but had already thawed the chicken for tonight's meal, and although a quick sandwich would have been in order I really wanted to try tonight's recipe. I decided to prepare the meal, leave it in the oven on low and eat when we returned home from our reading group.

Our well-prepared group leader always emails us a few questions to help us ready ourselves for the discussion and to help keep us on track during the evening. The "keeping us on track" part is somewhat of a challenge. We are quite a talkative group. I love the accountability of being part of a small group. I am not sure I would be reading as much if I didn't have caring friends to keep me responsible.

We did not get to eat until close to 9PM. The meal was wonderful. Was I just really, really hungry or was the food just really, really good? I don't know, but I do know my mouth and tummy did not care.

I prepared two recipes from the cookbook. Paula P.'s Vinegar Chicken and Susan L.'s Vegetable Casserole. The casserole had both a starchy veggie and a green veggie. I love all in one dishes. Because the recipe also called for cheese, the dish could actually serve as an entire dinner if necessary. The casserole was very similar to a dish I prepare around the holidays. It was, however, just different enough to be interesting. Susan no longer attends our church. If anyone knows where she now attends or has somehow kept in touch with her let me know how she is doing and tell her I said "Hi!"

Paula's Vinegar Chicken was extremely tender, moist, and tasty. Grilling and broiling are the two suggested ways to cook the meat. I used my broiler tonight because it was very dark and cold outside. As good as the chicken was tonight, I can only imagine how good it would be on the grill. We will definitely be trying this one again once the weather is warmer.

There are two kinds of people in this world. The first kind, I fear, are a lot like me. They walk into a room and announce, "Here I am." The second kind are a lot like Paula. They walk into a room and say, "Oh, there you are." One particular passage of scripture comes to mind when I think of Paula, Philippians 2:3-4 "Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others." Paula is genuinely concerned about others. In humility she cares deeply for those around her. She is always prepared on a moments notice to prepare a meal for a family in need. She puts her faith in action. I look forward to preparing more of Paula's recipes. As I am eating them, I will be reminded of all the families Paula has blessed with her meals.

Vinegar Chicken

3/4 c cider vinegar 1/2 t pepper
1 1/2 t salt 1 cut-up fryer chicken
1/4 c oil

In shallow pan, stir vinegar and salt until salt dissolves. Stir in oil and pepper. Pierce chicken thoroughly; place in single layer in marinade; let stand for 1 hour, turning once. Drain off and reserve marinade. Place chicken , skin side down, over charcoal or broiler pan about 6 inches from heat. Grill or broil, brushing with marinade every 10 minutes and turning skin side up after 20 minutes, for a total of 40 to 50 minutes until tender.

Vegetable Casserole

1 can white shoepeg corn 1/2 c chopped celery
1 can French-style green beans 1/2 c chopped onion
1/2 c chopped green pepper 1/2 c sour cream
1/2 c sharp grated cheese 1 can cream of celery soup

Topping:

1/2 sleeve crumbled Ritz crackers 1/2 sm can slivered almonds
1/2 stick butter

Mix all ingredients, except for topping, in a 2-quart casserole. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Add topping and brown slightly.

1 comment:

  1. When I asked what was for supper and Phyl offered the part about Vegetable Casserole, the taste buds didn't even twitch enough to wake up. My anticipation was less than enthusiastic. However, the other part I heard - something to do with chicken - gave me some hope. Was I in for a surprise....
    The casserole went well beyond the church pot luck dish I anticipated - it was really good! I already expected the Vinegar Chicken to be good - not only because its hard to mess up chicken enough for me not to like it, but also because Paula's food is always good.
    My expectations for good chicken were exceeded... Good stuff! Next time though - I think this would be even better grilled to get a little more smokey, burnt edge taste. Great meal! Terry's YUM factor - 4.8

    ReplyDelete