Monday, February 8, 2010

The Local Barbecue Place Was Calling My Name

While driving home from work this evening I was really considering stopping off at the local award winning barbecue place to pick up a "family pack" for dinner. I did not leave work until 5:30. When I was a little over a block from my house I noticed a man about 75 yards in front of me limping toward my van. I got just a bit closer and realized the somewhat crippled man was my husband. You need to understand that he had surgery last Wednesday to remove a football sized tumor from his right hamstring. The surgery resulted in a two-foot incision and 61 staples. Although I was not happy to see him walking so far from home, I was thankful the temptation to get take-out had been thwarted. However, Terry wanted me to take him to the UPS store so he could get his mail. I had to drive right by the barbecue place to get the UPS store and the smell was almost too much to pass up. Then I remembered you, my faithful blog follower, and determined to overcome. Thankfully the recipe I had chosen to prepare tonight was quick, easy, and yes, delicious. I did not begin supper until a little before six and we were sitting down to dinner at 6:30. Nothing short of wonderful.
Tonight I prepared Dale E.'s Hamburger Casserole found on page 40. The recipe calls for canned biscuits but it also states that you could make biscuits from scratch. Who knew biscuits came from anything but a can? I remembered I had a box of Bisquick and noticed a recipe for biscuits on the side of the box-two and quarter cups of Bisquick and two-thirds cup of milk. I had no idea biscuits could be so easy. Yes, biscuits from a box of Bisquick are consider scratch at my house just as are break and bake cookies.
Not only do Dale and I attend church together, we are also friends on Facebook. I discovered something quite interesting about Dale through her Facebook pictures. She is very creative and talented. I knew she loved to scrapbook, but her talent reaches much further. She creates these amazing pieces she calls "altered art." Dale is so unassuming and humble I don't think she realizes how beautiful her pieces are. She creates them for herself for the pure joy of it. Occasionally a family member or friend may be the blessed recipient of one of her creations. In my humble opinion Dale's "altered art" pieces are some of the most creative and interesting I have seen. Her Hamburger Casserole is not bad either. The ease, quick preparation and tastiness will place this recipe on the repeat list.

Hamburger Casserole
1 lb. ground beef 1 pkg. brown gravy mix
1/2 onion chopped 5 or 10- canned biscuits, or from scratch
1 T cooking oil
1 beef bouillon cube

Brown onion and beef in 1 tablespoon oil. Drain. Cook gravy by directions on package only add beef cube in with the water and mix. Put cooked beef and onion in a casserole dish. Pour gravy on top and mix. Top with raw biscuits or biscuit dough. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until biscuits are done.

4 comments:

  1. very proud of you for cooking...it's hard to resist that smoked chicken with white sauce and chocolate chess pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a decent dish. Phyl was able to make it pretty quickly. The "scratch" biscuits apparently weren't hard to do and from my perspective they are what made this really good. Terry's Yum factor 3.5

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Miss Phyliss, I am loving your blog! It is making me want to go cook something. I've got to make Jill's spinach salad for sure. Thank you so much for the sweet compliments on my artwork. Do you have a favorite? I might make you something. Our church is blessed beyond compare by having you and Terry and your whole family as members. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to add that I have never made this dish using bisquik mix biscuits. I make mine from scratch like my mama did. That might make it a little better. My sister-in-law uses canned biscuits and hers is always good too. I submitted this recipe years ago for a recipe contest in the local paper and it won. I think it was $10.00 and a small article in the paper.

    ReplyDelete