Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Philly Family Day

Sunday was Philly Family Day at church. A day when we partake of the Lord's Supper together, share a meal, and discuss family business. Each family brings enough food for themselves and others. It only made sense to prepare my meal from the church cookbook. However, I have to be at church at 8AM and four hour old Heavenly Broccoli Casserole might send us into eternity a little sooner than expected. Taco Surprise that has been sitting on the counter all morning might surprise us in ways we would rather not be. Special Green Beans... well...you get the picture. With all that considered I decided to make salads and desserts I could place in the refrigerator.

I prepared JoAnn C.'s Cabbage Slaw Salad, Mary Claire C.'s Lemonade Pie, and another one of Paula's amazing concoctions, Chess Pie. The Chess Pie did not make it to church. My family decided they wanted it to themselves. Terry and I ate the last piece Tuesday night. The slaw was one of the best I have eaten. Terry does not eat cabbage, but this particular slaw he really enjoyed. He has now truly surprised me twice since I began this challenge-the spinach salad and the slaw. Thanks, ladies, for getting my husband to eat his greens.

The Lemonade Pie actually appears in the cookbook three times with slight variations. I chose to prepare Mary Claire's because she is one of the youngest contributors to the book. I thought she was probably at least five or six by now, but then I realized that can't be. The book was published in 1999, so that would make her at least eleven. Why do children grow up so fast? I was told this week that Mary Claire is thirteen. In just one short week Mary Claire went from five to thirteen. Mary Claire is a beautiful young girl. She has parents who love the Lord and are raising her to love and serve Him. Mary Claire, her two older sisters and her mom contributed several more recipes to the cookbook. Mary Claire's mom, Marilyn, is a lot like Paula. She uses her skills in the kitchen to bless others. Being sick is not so bad when Marilyn brings you a meal. I am looking forward to preparing the other recipes contributed by these girls.

Cabbage Slaw Salad

1 bag slaw mix 1 pkg. chicken flavored ramen noodles
1/2 pkg. sunflower kernels remove flavor packet and crush noodles
6 green onions with rolling pin
1/2 bell pepper chopped

Mix above ingredients together. Mix together in small container; 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper and flavor packet from noodles. Pour dressing over salad mixture and mix well. Chill at least one hour before serving. Will keep well in refrigerator for one week.

Chess Pie

3 eggs 1 t vanilla
1 1/2 c sugar 1 t vinegar
1/2 c butter, melted Dash nutmeg
1 T yellow cornmeal 1 8-inch unbaked pie crust

Beat eggs slightly. Stir in sugar, butter, cornmeal, vanilla, vinegar and nutmeg until well blended. Pour into unbaked pie crust. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool. Eat quickly before anyone else has a chance.

Lemonade Pie

1 can condensed milk Yellow food coloring, opt.
1 sm. can frozen lemonade 2 graham cracker crusts or butter pie crusts
1 lg. ctn. Cool Whip
Juice from 1/2 lemon

Mix milk , lemonade, Cool Whip, lemon juice and food coloring (if desired) and pour into pie shells. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Keep well in freezer.


1 comment:

  1. You won't believe this - I wouldn't have believed it myself, but..... While the Chess pie was great - it always is and the Lemonade pie was different - very tart and similar to key lime pie, but also very good for someone like me with a sweet tooth. But the surprise? - are you sitting down? I ate the slaw and it didn't come back up! I've been known to eat just about anything if I'm hungry enough, but that's not what happened here. In the past, cabbage has never been on my radar - wouldn't tolerate it unless it was drowned in Johns (Restaurant)slaw sauce and I had a box of crackers to thin out the cabbage. But THIS slaw was really good stuff - I especially liked the sunflower seeds in it. Unfortunately everybody else at Philly Family Day must have liked it too, because by the time I got through the line at church - this dish was all gone! YUM fact for all three - 4.0

    ReplyDelete