Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What Do You Do with a Loaf of Smooshed Bread?

While perusing the cookbook last night looking for tonight's recipe I remembered the loaf of smooshed bread tucked away in my fridge. When I was putting away groceries over a week ago I discovered the bread had been sacked under a couple of cans of soup. Too lazy to go back to the grocery and not willing to throw the loaf away just yet, I put it in the refrigerator. What do you do with a loaf a smooshed bread? You make Wanda S.'s Cheese Pie. The recipe said to refrigerator the pie overnight so at 10PM I found myself grating a half-pound of cheese. Cheese Pie apparently requires a lot of cheese. I couldn't decide what to serve with the pie and pondered that all day. After eating it this evening I have decided it would go well with vegetable soup. I called Wanda to see what she normally served with the pie, but she was not at home. Wanda, if you read this blog, please comment and let us know how you serve your recipe.

Wanda has been a member of our church for more years than I can remember. She has served others by caring for our babies in the nursery for two generations. Wanda cared for my babies when I was a young mother and now I am a young grandmother. She also served working mothers in our community by keeping their young children in her home. Not everyone can spend that much time with other's children and keep their sanity. Wanda has a very special God-given gift that she uses to edify the Body and minister to those around her.

Cheese Pie

10 slices white bread, cubed w/ crust removed 2 cups milk
1/2 lb. grated cheese 3 eggs, beaten
1 t. salt

Layer bread cubes and cheese in casserole dish. Mix milk, eggs and salt and pour over bread and cheese. Let stand at least 2 hours or overnight. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. I love cheese.... not bad. Phyl served this up with.... nothing else. Reminds me of a smooshed up grilled cheese sandwich. I didn't ask for seconds. Terry's Yum Factor - 2

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had a Phyliss moment. I read the word "cheese" as "chess" pie...I was really confused with the ingredients. I even read them out to my co-workers just now and then realized it was "cheese". We all had a good laugh at my expense. I couldn't figure out why it mattered what the main course was if the pie was for dessert, or why you just served pie for dinner. It all makes sense now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I make it again I will probably serve it with vegetable soup. And eat the pie like a bread. I did not get to make anything to go with it that night because Terry was running a fever post surgery and I had a few things to handle for him. I will be making a chess pie later so be sure to check it out.

    ReplyDelete