Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Teaspoon and A-Half Baking Powder and A-Half Teaspoon of Salt

Did you know that if you don't have any self-rising flour in the house you can make your own? Just add 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a cup of all purpose flour. Who knew? Google knew.

Tonight I made Pattie M.'s mayonnaise rolls to go with pork roast and veggies. Normally we don't have bread with our meals around here. I'm not really a big fan of bread, but if I am going to cook through the entire cookbook I will be eating some homemade breads.

Pattie's homemade rolls were simple and quick to make. I imagine if you eat bread with every meal you would find these rolls just about as easy as prepackaged. Ask Brent sometime the difference between Brown & Serve and Grab & Go rolls.

I have a great deal of admiration for Pattie. She has home schooled three boys. I can't imagine the patience, organization, discipline and determination it takes to accomplish what she has
.
She may not remember this, but years ago she was a life saver for me. As a young mother, I had taken on one of those projects that half way into it I wondered if I could complete. I decided to hold a Neighborhood Bible Club in my home for Brittany's classmates. Each Wednesday afternoon close to 20 first graders showed up at my house. Pattie was there to help maintain some sense of control. She helped transport the children to my home and helped provide snacks each week. When I thought I had gotten in over my head, Pattie was there to keep me from drowning. Thanks to Pattie I was able to complete the school year. I did not host a Bible club again in my home, but Pattie's encouragement that year gave me the courage to help with or teach several more Bible clubs throughout the years my children were in grade school. We will never know how God worked in the lives of most of those children. We are to be obedient and trust Him with the outcome. Thank you Pattie for being one of our Sovereign Lord's instruments in the lives of those children.

Mayonnaise Rolls
1 cup self-rising flour 3 heaping T. mayonnaise
1/2 cup milk

Mix all ingredients well; drop by spoonfuls into greased muffin pan. Bake for 15 minutes in 400 degree oven. If desired, biscuits may be rolled and cut; just decrease milk. Makes 6 rolls.

1 comment:

  1. When Phyl told me she was making Mayonnaise Rolls I didn't just jump up and down in excitement. Now I like a good buttered roll, but this name gave me the image of something with animal fat oozing out on all sides. I like mayo, but to me, it's one of those things that's always there to compliment something else - always residing in the background. It should have no identity of its own, shouldn't be highlighted or have a stand alone taste of its own, but rather, enhance the taste of everything on or in which it is used - I know, I'm weird...hard to explain. Hmmmmmm.
    Well, the meal was wonderful and the rolls were actually a nice addition. They were moist and not too heavy. Still I never quite got past the name "Mayo Rolls"...
    Terry's YUM factor - 2.5

    ReplyDelete